1. Substitute the peak voltage that will be applied to your load into the
appropriate equation for driving capacitive loads with sine, triangle, or square
waves. Use the table below to select the Trek amplifier with the appropriate voltage or
2. Select the correct internal output capacitance value for the selected Trek
amplifier from the X pF (pico farad) column and substitute the value into the X pF
variable of the equation.
3. Substitute the capacitive value of your load (C load ) into the equation.
4. Substitute the desired frequency f or rise time dt (square wave) of the output
waveform into the equation.
5. Solve for the peak current needed from the amplifier.
If the calculated peak current
is equal to or less than the peak current range of the amplifier, the Trek amplifier will
not be bandwidth limited due to output current limitations. For example, if the calculated
peak current is equal to or less than 20 mA, the Model 20/20C will not be bandwidth
limited due to output current limitations.
To help you select the appropriate
amplifier, download the following application: Driving
Capacitive Loads Calculator